Here is a dish that my sis in law shared with me a few days ago and is a shoe-in for a quick and easy weeknight meal. I love making casseroles during the winter and this one will definitely become a regular in our dinner rotation. The whole family loved it and I mean, what's not to love about a pasta and pickles?
Skinny Cheeseburger Casserole
Recipe via Skinny Mom
2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni (or any kind of pasta), uncooked
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 tsp burger seasoning (I didn't add this because I didn't have any)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 - 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 cups reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
Hamburger dill chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with a nonstick spray.
2. In a large stock pot, cook pasta according to package directions and then drain and set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, add the olive oil and cook the garlic and onions until translucent.
4. Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and mustard. Allow the mixture to cook and thicken until bubbly.
5. Add the pasta to the sauce and mix to cover it evenly. Transfer the mixture to your casserole dish. Top with the cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Top with dill pickles before serving. My sister in law also topped her with lettuce - yum!